Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Crossroads Revisited

This is a piece I wrote a number of years ago, inspired by Robert Johnson's "Crossroad Blues" (and Cream/Eric Clapton's updated version) and well as EC's "Let it Grow." I could easily see this being adapted and sung as a blues.

Crossroads Revisited
For Robert Johnson and Eric Clapton
by John W. Leys

Following that time worn trail
Crawling on my hands and knees
Pleading with the Lord above
"Save me if you please"

Arriving at the crossroads
I try to regain my feet
Wondering how I managed
To end up on this side of the street

Pulling myself up on the signpost
Trying hard to read the words
Ignoring the screeching taunts
Of those circling buzzard-birds

I call out for a friend
But no one seems to hear
Falling back to my knees
I'm swallowed by my tears

Run back to town now, boy
Go get my friend, Willie Brown
Tell him I'm still at the crossroads
And that I'm still sinking down.

4 comments:

Sophia said...

I could almost hear the tune in my head. You're going to make me want to get out my old dusty keyboard and write some tunes to these words!

Sophia said...

I just went to check out your deviantart gallery. I really liked the photo entitled "Hanukkah 5765". Very nice lighting.

I have a deviantart gallery too:
http://fractalrock.deviantart.com/gallery

John W Leys said...

Feel free to set it to music if you like. I'd love to hear what you come up with.

And I'm glad you liked the photo. I actually have pictures similar to that from all 8 nights last year, but that one is my favorite/

George Breed said...

O Yeah! That be the blues alright!

The background image on this page is a Hebrew translation of the verse from Bob Dylan's song  It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), from which the title of this blog is taken. Translation courtesy of Yoram Aharon of Hod-HaSharon's page--found via YudelLine-- which has many Dylan lyrics in Hebrew.