Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Growing Up

More from Chabad.org's 'Daily Dose' mailing list:

B"H

Growing Up
----------

There is a time that He relates to us as a father relates to his infant child. We can cry and spit and make those little messes babies make -- but He loves us, just because we are His child.

And then there comes a time when we have to grow up and do something.


Which brings to mind a couple passages from Pirkei Avot:

"Simeon, [Rabban Gamaliel's] son, said... 'not learning but doing is the chief thing...'"

and

"[Hillel] used to say 'If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?'"



Surely the time for us to collectively grow up and do something is now. As the man said, if not now, when?


0 comments:

The background image on this page is a Hebrew translation of the verse from Bob Dylan's song  It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), from which the title of this blog is taken. Translation courtesy of Yoram Aharon of Hod-HaSharon's page--found via YudelLine-- which has many Dylan lyrics in Hebrew.