Pages

Thursday, November 9, 2006

Post-Election Day Blues

Go figure, but this lyric has been blowing through my head since Tuesday morning:

There's nothing in the street
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Is now the parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight
...
Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss
- from Won't Get Fooled Again by Pete Townshend
I'd also like to take the opportunity to shout-out a hearty "Yasher Koach" to Kinky Friedman. While he didn't win the governorship of Texas, he ran a hell of a campaign. I think he was defeated by the fact that too many people are afraid to look outside the Republican/Democrat dichotomy. Of course, the fact that he was out-spent 15-1, despite reportedly having 8 times as many contributors, may have had a slight impact as well. Regardless of his stance on individual issues (many of which I did agree with him on), I loved what he represented as a truly independent candidate. And heck, 13% of the vote seems pretty impressive to me. Don't fret, Kinky. You done good, son!
"So ride, ride em Jew-boy,
Ride em all around the old corral.
I'm, I'm with you boy
If I've got to ride six million miles..."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

john,
....you are right...SOS...
barb

Anonymous said...

Yeah, when will the "political elite" in this country give an opportunity for inexperienced, unqualified candidates who just want a platform for making racist and sexist jokes? Think of all the quality candidates the Democrats and Republicans are denying us?

Sincerely,
The Michael Richards in '08 Committee

John W Leys said...

Yeah, because that was what Kinky's campaign was all about... Do you have to try hard to completely miss the point, Mr/Ms Anonymous, or does it come naturally?

I have to say it takes guts to post anonymous comments like that... oh wait, no it doesn't.. (btw, you should know that you're not as anonymous as you might think. As I type this I'm looking at your IP address and information, as well as the site you came from).

The background image on this page is a Hebrew translation of the verse from Bob Dylan's song  It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), from which the title of this blog is taken. Translation courtesy of Yoram Aharon of Hod-HaSharon's page--found via YudelLine-- which has many Dylan lyrics in Hebrew.