Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2005

A Bit of the Applause

Since today marks a quarter century since his murder I thought I'd post a poem I wrote many years ago (around 1988 to be precise) about John Lennon. Its been available on-line for many years in the Art & Poetry section of Bagism, a Lennon site I used to frequent once upon a time.

A Bit of the Applause
(For John Winston Lennon)
by John W. Leys

You were the Walrus
Then you were John
You were the Dreamweaver
And now, you are gone

You were a poet
You were a man
They call you a god
They don't understand

They mourn your death
Say you died for the cause
When All you wanted
Was a bit of the applause

0 comments:

The background image on this page is a Hebrew translation of the verse from Bob Dylan's song  It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), from which the title of this blog is taken. Translation courtesy of Yoram Aharon of Hod-HaSharon's page--found via YudelLine-- which has many Dylan lyrics in Hebrew.