Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Dust to Dust (for Simon Wiesenthal)

This is a poem I've been working on since Simon passed away yesterday. I'm not sure its quite finished yet, but I'm happy enough with it at the moment to share it.

Dust to Dust
(for Simon Wiesenthal)
By John W. Leys

Caught in the sacrificial flames
That licked the heavens,
Burned but not burnt

Your brothers' and sisters' blood
Cries out to you from the ashes:
"Where is God," they ask,
"Where is justice?"

The Lord answered:
Tempered in flame
a voice cried out from the wild,
"I am my brother's keeper!"
Bearing the shield of righteousness;
wielding the sword of truth,
"Justice! Justice I shall pursue!"

A voice for the silenced.
A memory for the forgotten.
A promise to the wicked:
Judgment Day is at hand.

0 comments:

The background image on this page is a Hebrew translation of the verse from Bob Dylan's song  It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), from which the title of this blog is taken. Translation courtesy of Yoram Aharon of Hod-HaSharon's page--found via YudelLine-- which has many Dylan lyrics in Hebrew.