Pages

Monday, May 2, 2005

The Day the Iron Horse Stopped Running

Lou Gehrig's massive 2,130 game playing streak ended on 2 May 1939 when he decided, as Captain of the New York Yakees, to take himself out of the line-up. Said Gehrig:

"I haven't been a bit of good to the team since the season started. It would not be fair to the boys, to Joe, or to the baseball public for me to try going on. In fact, it would not be fair to myself, and I'm the last consideration."
When the news was announced to the crowd of fans in Detroit's Briggs Stadium they gave Lou a rousing ovation.

Visit LouGehrig.com!


Topic:

0 comments:

The background image on this page is a Hebrew translation of the verse from Bob Dylan's song  It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), from which the title of this blog is taken. Translation courtesy of Yoram Aharon of Hod-HaSharon's page--found via YudelLine-- which has many Dylan lyrics in Hebrew.