Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2004

God will always believe in your ability to mend your ways.

כי־אבי ואמי עזבוני
ויהוה יאספני

תהלים כ״ז.י

"Though my father and mother abandon me,
The Lord will take me in."
- Psalm 27.10


"Even if I were so depraved that my own mother and father would abandon me to my own devices, God would still gather me up and believe in my ability to mend my ways."
- Rabbi Shimshon Rafael Hirsch
in his commentary on Psalm 27



"Well, my daddy, he didn't leave me much, you know he was a very simple man, but what he did tell me was this, he did say, son, he said... he say, you know it's possible to become so defiled in this world that your own father and mother will abandon you and if that happens, God will always believe in your ability to mend your ways."
Note: This post contains the name of God. If you print it out, please treat it with the proper respect.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm surprised that almost no where on the world wide web does anyone get this quote verbatim. You're just quoting other transcriptions of the comments rather than checking the video to discover what he actually said. On this matter, I think accuracy is paramount.

Dylan actually said:
Well, my daddy, he didn't leave me much, you know he was a very simple man and he didn’t leave me a lot, but what he told me was this, he did say, “Son…”, he said, he said so many things, you know? He say, “You know it's possible to become so defiled in this world that your own father and mother will abandon you and if that happens, God will always believe in your own ability to mend your ways."

The background image on this page is a Hebrew translation of the verse from Bob Dylan's song  It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), from which the title of this blog is taken. Translation courtesy of Yoram Aharon of Hod-HaSharon's page--found via YudelLine-- which has many Dylan lyrics in Hebrew.