Pages

Monday, April 26, 2004

Reviews of the Messiah [Updated]

I find it incredibly amusing that most of the bad reviews for Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan's Real Messiah: A Jewish Response to Missionaries on Amazon.com are themselves missionary rants.

My favorite is the review by "annjacob20 from Tempe, Arizona, USA" who says "There is no doubt that Jesus is the Jewish Messiah and the human incarnate of the God himself. If anyone has any doubt about it, then please read the 4 gospels and the Acts of the Apostles and then make your judgement. Read these neither with a pro-christian attitude or an anti-christian one, but with an open mind. I am sure that you will be convinced that Jesus is not only the Messiah, but also God himself in human form."

I have indeed read the Xian NT with an open mind. In fact I've read many parts of it in the original Greek. I was raised in a functionally secular home and when I began seeking God in my late teens I found myself settling on Xianity. As I do with everything I obsessed about Jesus. I studied the Xian NT very intently. And the more I studied it the more I became convinced that it was incompatable with the Hebrew Scripture it supposedly fulfilled and that the Moshiach had yet to arrive.

My other favorite, which was preceded by the usual nonsense about Jesus being the "pesach lamb" and blood sacrifices being necissary for atonement (which they, of course, aren't), is:

You do NOT stop being Jewish upon believing in Jesus. You become a FULFILLED and COMPLETED Jewish person. Wouldn't you like to know of a certainty that your sins ARE forgiven?

No, I wouldn't stop being a Jew if I started believing in Jesus--nothing can make a Jew "not Jewish"--I would however be a blasphemous apostate. And I do know with certainty that my sins are forgiven. That is, after all, what we have Yom Kippur for, isn't it? But hey, I'm just an incomplete Jew, what the heck do I know?

0 comments:

The background image on this page is a Hebrew translation of the verse from Bob Dylan's song  It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), from which the title of this blog is taken. Translation courtesy of Yoram Aharon of Hod-HaSharon's page--found via YudelLine-- which has many Dylan lyrics in Hebrew.