Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Questions about Jews?

The recent uproar about search results for "Jew" on Google has prompted at least one Jew to reach out to the general public and try and heal the rift that seems to exist between the Jews and the Gentiles:

I've been asking myself - what can I do to help people tolerate and appreciate the wonderful and amazing diversity of religious traditions in this great country? This is what I came up with - a place where curious people of all faiths can ask questions about the Jewish people, Jewish religion, and Jewish history. After all, we Jews have had quite a ride, and to be honest, most Jews don't really know their own history either.

I'll do my best to answer your questions with complete openness. My goal here is to create a model of a dialogue that we all need - not just Jews and non-Jews, but Americans of all ethnicities, religions, political beliefs, and sexual orientations. I believe that each of us has a unique spark of Godliness within us, but the labels we use to describe people - Jew, Republican, Gay, Hoosier, NRA member, etc. - make it hard for us to connect, soul to soul. The way we yell at each other on talk radio and on Yahoo chat groups isn't going to get us there.


See more at http://howieconnect.com/infojew.htm

0 comments:

The background image on this page is a Hebrew translation of the verse from Bob Dylan's song  It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), from which the title of this blog is taken. Translation courtesy of Yoram Aharon of Hod-HaSharon's page--found via YudelLine-- which has many Dylan lyrics in Hebrew.