Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2004

Poem for Yom haShoah

In commemoration of Yom haShoah (Holocaust Remembrence Day) I am sharing this poem I wrote a number of years ago.

Never Again.

___________

Persistance of Memory
by John W Leys

I haven’t forgotten you
How could I even try?
Haunting my waking dreams,
Your eyes plead to me
From emaciated faces,
Crying out for justice.

I hear laughter
As you’re herded
Like cattle
From the boxcars
To the gas chambers
They so cleverly disguised
As showers.

I can hear babies crying
As they’re torn from their mothers’ arms
And thrown against walls
Or dissected like animals
By trained doctors.

I smell the smoke.
It stings my eyes
As it pours from the chimneys
Of the crematoriums
Where they’re burning your bodies.
I pray for your souls
As they reduce your bodies to ashes
To use as fertilizer in their garden.

I hear laughter.
I hear them laughing.
Laughing because they think
That they’ve won.

0 comments:

The background image on this page is a Hebrew translation of the verse from Bob Dylan's song  It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), from which the title of this blog is taken. Translation courtesy of Yoram Aharon of Hod-HaSharon's page--found via YudelLine-- which has many Dylan lyrics in Hebrew.